29/04/2008

PIRATE SPREAD


Posted by Picasa
These pictures are of my 2nd spread in Krissie's "Secret" Altered Book.
I decided that the secret would be where the treasure was stashed hence the pirate theme.
The left hand side of the spread has the story of Blackbeard the pirate (briefly) printed onto transparency and then laid over a piece of distressed canvas. I included Blackbeard because it mentions Benjamin Hornigold who was the pirate who gave Blackbeard his first vessel the Concorde after they had looted it. Hornigold was my husbands name at birth, it was shortened to Gold on the death of my husbands grandfather because my FIL did not like the "Horni" part of the name.
I have used a skull and crossbones grungeboard piece, I painted the Pirate banner after printing it on to canvas. The parrot is de riguer in all pirate stories so that had to be included.
The piece de resistance for me is the altered altoid tin in which I have glued some jewels. Other elements are the map of the world, the rolled up map and the little disk in the corner actually gives instructions, i.e. walk 2 steps forward, turn left...etc. etc.
Hope Krissie likes it, I shall let the jewels dry thoroughly and then this will be in the post to Linda tomorrow.

6 comments:

Eastjewels said...

What a great page...I love the secret fold out and the whole theme. And it's great to put a story with it...a little family secret about having a real live pirate in the family is really awesome. Great job Ms. Dawn...
LUV MUM

Christy said...

Dawn, I love this spread. It is fun and has such great detail. At first I was disappointed I couldn't see the altoid tin close up... but then I remembered I get this book later so I will get to see this page and the tin personally. That rocks! Oh and I love the idea that you used canvas in this... can't wait to see it in person. Christy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful project, and what a fun idea: buried treasure, pirates and family history all rolled into one great package!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness its WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What amazing imagination, besides the brilliant artistic skill. I LOVE IT. xxx

Krissie x

mary schweitzer said...

Dawn you have outdone yourself! This is amazing, can't wait to see it in person.
Mary

morningDove said...

your hubby's family is very intriguing Hornigold. I love the pirate theme and all you did on this book.